THE MONKEY SELFIE – REALLY???
By now everybody has heard or seen the viral media blitz about the copyrights dispute between the British photographer David Slater and Wikimedia Commons about a photo of a monkey that looks something like this.
Slater requested to have the image removed claiming copyright violation. Wikimedia said blah blah blah.BLAH BLAH BLAH……..the monkey owns it.
Then MSN even had a poll – asking people to weigh in on the issue. And guess what? They did!
I VOTE FOR THE MONKEY! HE NEEDS THE MONEY FOR SOME DENTAL WORK!
Has the world gone mad? Have we become so self centered that we have lost all common sense and reason?
Or are we just stupid? And getting more stupid with each passing day?
Just a quick look at the daily headlines, hopefully would put life in perspective?
- People are stranded atop a mountain in another land in 110 degrees heat with no shelter, dying of thirst and starving to death
- People are being uprooted from their homes, being bombed, killed, beheaded, sliced in half
- Women and girls are being raped, buried alive
- Little girls are being kidnapped and forced to embrace a religion that is not theirs
- People are getting shot by cops, Cops getting killed by people
- Innocent people are being injured or killed by the knock out game
- People are either dying of floods or dying of drought
- Human rights are being violated – Gay people and others are being executed
- Kids are languishing in detention centers in the USA, fleeing their home countries in fear of their lives, creating a “CRISIS” , while elected officials are on a 5 week recess, after agreeing it is a CRISIS
- Planes are being shot down or lost with no explanation or liability
- The NSA is spying on YOU! We the people
- Ebola and other diseases are coming to a neighborhood near YOU
AND WE CONCERN OURSELVES WITH THE RIGHTS OF A PHOTOGRAPH!
ACTUALLY HAVING A DEBATE – HAVING A DEBATE PEOPLE!!!
See here: http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2014/08/11/if-a-monkey-takes-a-photograph-who-has-the-copyright/ (It is actually a good debate, but nevertheless, we should focus on better things.)
THAT A MONKEY IS BEING CONSIDERED TO TRULY / LEGALLY HAVE A RIGHT TO ITS PHOTOGRAPH!
COME ON!!! LET’S GET A GRIP. GET A LIFE!
GO AND VOLUNTEER IN AN AFRICAN VILLAGE!
LET’S GET BEYOND OURSELVES AND FOCUS ON THINGS THAT MATTER.
THINGS OF SUBSTANCE.
LESS SELFIES AND MORE DOING.
SPENDING OUR ENERGY ON WORTHWHILE THINGS.