A ‘Stupidity’ Virus Has Been Discovered! Finally an explanation on why we are so stupid and getting more stupid with each passing day! AND OF COURSE IT IS NOT OUR FAULT!!!
A virus known to attack green algae in lakes and rivers can also infect human brains – and it’s making idiots out of us. The virus, called ATCV-1, can impair cognitive activity, learning and memory, essentially making a person who has the virus less intelligent, researchers in the U.S. have found. Scientists said this is the first time the virus has been observed in people.
Robert Yolken, a virologist at Johns Hopkins Medical School in Maryland, who led the original study says: “This is a striking example showing that the ‘innocuous’ microorganisms we carry can affect behavior and cognition”.
All people have physiological differences “encoded in the set of genes each inherits from parents, yet some of these differences are fueled by the various microorganisms we harbor and the way they interact with our genes,” Yolken said.
Scientists discovered the virus accidentally while working on an unrelated study into microbes in the human throat. Throat swabs drawn from study volunteers showed unexpected traces of ATCV-1 in their DNA. Out of the 92 healthy adults screened in the study, nearly 44 percent of them had the virus, the authors said.
Study participants who had the virus performed around 10 percent worse on cognitive tests. Additionally, researchers noted the presence of the virus was correlated with lower attention spans and a “statistically significant decrease in visual processing and visual motor speed.” While the virus is found in freshwater, there was no indication the only people who had it were swimmers and boaters. These are agents that people carry around for a long time and that may have subtle effects on their cognition and behavior.
Testing done on mice produced similar results. Researchers inserted infected green algae into the mouths of mice and had them perform a series of lab tests. Researchers found it took animals that had been injected with the virus 10 percent longer to find their way out of mazes. They also spent 20 percent less time exploring new objects than uninfected mice.
Thank goodness for this research! Just one more thing that dissolves us from responsibility!
THE MONKEY SELFIE – REALLY???
By now everybody has heard or seen the viral media blitz about the copyrights dispute between the British photographer David Slater and Wikimedia Commons about a photo of a monkey that looks something like this.
Slater requested to have the image removed claiming copyright violation. Wikimedia said blah blah blah.BLAH BLAH BLAH……..the monkey owns it.
Then MSN even had a poll – asking people to weigh in on the issue. And guess what? They did!
I VOTE FOR THE MONKEY! HE NEEDS THE MONEY FOR SOME DENTAL WORK!
Has the world gone mad? Have we become so self centered that we have lost all common sense and reason?
Or are we just stupid? And getting more stupid with each passing day?
Just a quick look at the daily headlines, hopefully would put life in perspective?
- People are stranded atop a mountain in another land in 110 degrees heat with no shelter, dying of thirst and starving to death
- People are being uprooted from their homes, being bombed, killed, beheaded, sliced in half
- Women and girls are being raped, buried alive
- Little girls are being kidnapped and forced to embrace a religion that is not theirs
- People are getting shot by cops, Cops getting killed by people
- Innocent people are being injured or killed by the knock out game
- People are either dying of floods or dying of drought
- Human rights are being violated – Gay people and others are being executed
- Kids are languishing in detention centers in the USA, fleeing their home countries in fear of their lives, creating a “CRISIS” , while elected officials are on a 5 week recess, after agreeing it is a CRISIS
- Planes are being shot down or lost with no explanation or liability
- The NSA is spying on YOU! We the people
- Ebola and other diseases are coming to a neighborhood near YOU
AND WE CONCERN OURSELVES WITH THE RIGHTS OF A PHOTOGRAPH!
ACTUALLY HAVING A DEBATE – HAVING A DEBATE PEOPLE!!!
See here: http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2014/08/11/if-a-monkey-takes-a-photograph-who-has-the-copyright/ (It is actually a good debate, but nevertheless, we should focus on better things.)
THAT A MONKEY IS BEING CONSIDERED TO TRULY / LEGALLY HAVE A RIGHT TO ITS PHOTOGRAPH!
COME ON!!! LET’S GET A GRIP. GET A LIFE!
GO AND VOLUNTEER IN AN AFRICAN VILLAGE!
LET’S GET BEYOND OURSELVES AND FOCUS ON THINGS THAT MATTER.
THINGS OF SUBSTANCE.
LESS SELFIES AND MORE DOING.
SPENDING OUR ENERGY ON WORTHWHILE THINGS.