Monday 22nd May 2017 at 5:30 Eastern time in New York and 10:30pm in Manchester England, another Islamic terrorist took it upon himself to massacre innocent young lives.
The news break in uncertain terms. Vague snippets of information trickles into the news media outlets.
Then suddenly it is confirmed: “A suicide bomber at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester England has detonated himself and killed an unknown number of young innocent girls attending their favorite singer’s concert”.
I watched in horror as the details unfold and the chaos that ensued. Watching the sorrow and anguish of parents waiting for children that never emerged was excruciatingly painful.
The Manchester attack is a sickening new low, even by the depraved standards of terrorists. This was an act of pure, unadulterated evil. To target children and teenagers with a nail bomb is utterly loathsome. It was done with the intention of causing maximum carnage and terrible pain to those who survived the explosion.
The anger is monumental. FOR WHAT REASON WILL THIS EVER STOP???
Almost immediately little hastags appears on social media. #ManchesterStrong. #ManchesterKeepCalm. And so on.
Within hours of the attack the politicians and the British media were urging Britons to carry on as if nothing had happened.
Theresa May says such attacks “will not break us”, but her own life is lived in a bullet-proof bubble, and she evidently does not need to identify any young people in the Manchester morgues. Also, “will not break us” means that the tragedy will not break her, or her policies.
The young people of Manchester are already broken. Sadig Khan say “London is united with Manchester”, but yet he does not condemn Islamic State – who have claimed responsibility for the bomb attack and who have been celebrating on social media.
The mayor of Manchester, Andy Burnham says the attack is the work of an “extremist”. An extreme WHAT? An extreme RABBIT? An extreme DOG? An extreme PIG?
Everyone seems scared to say what we all say in private. Politicians tell us they are unafraid. Yes of course they are unafraid, they are never the victims. WE, THE PEOPLE ARE THE VICTIMS!
NO! The time for prayers, hashtag campaigns and lightshows is over.
How about responding by targeting those responsible as well as the ideology behind the attacks?
But ‘carrying on exactly as before’ is not an option.
Except for the Queen, who was praised for her “strong words” against the attack, but yet, she did not cancel the garden party that took place at Buckingham Palace.
However in all fairness, the Queen and her thousands of garden party guests stood silently for one minute to remember the victims of the Manchester massacre.
Seems it is all just words, words, words, yada, yada, yada until the next terrorist attack on WE THE PEOPLE who are collateral damage in a fight that nobody is willing to tackle.
So now we just sit back and wait. Not for the next “IF”, but instead – for the absolute certainty and definite “WHEN”.
And while we wait, don’t forget to be strong. And keep calm.
Cartoonist Adam Zyglis perhaps illustrated the dire situation best.
Who would have thunk a young Halloween artist could be such a visionary?
MAY THE WORDS OF WISDOM DISPLAYED ABOVE, LEAD AND GUIDE OUR NEW PRESIDENT ELECT DONALD J TRUMP.
THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN
DEMOCRACY REIGNS AND PREVAILS FOR
WE, THE PEOPLE
THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING LIT UP IN HONOR OF NEWLY ELECTED
PRESIDENT DONALD J TRUMP.
PICTURE TAKEN FROM 42ND STREET AND AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS.
6th November 2016 – The closer we get to election day, the more chaotic everything seems to be. Media supplying 24 -hour cycles covering the election, its candidates and all the gossip and scandals leading the way.
It has been a long and winding road to finally be here – two days before the most contested, discussed, argued, despised election ever. Certainly history is being made and we have front row seats observing it all. Forming opinions watching all that gets reported, with little consideration given to fact or fiction. Competition amongst the networks is fierce in so far of who can be the first to report a story. Any story. A fall, a slip of the tongue, another Wiki leaks dump, another scandal, another discrepancy, the flip-flopping of the FBI advising no further evidence found on Hillary’s stack of problems. Election fatigue is being felt all around. Any innuendo or attempts to deliver another scandal is being met with disinterest and exhaustion.
Comic relief in the form of the truly funny impersonators proved to be a very welcome distraction with Saturday Night Live being the most daring and outrageous. Darrell Hammond, John Di Domenico and Alec Baldwin being my favorites.
Hillary Clinton is slated to be the winner. Seems to be a no-brainer really.
With all the kings horses and all the kings men……Hillary Clinton will surely be President.
Since Bernie Saunders had been securely ousted by her own Democratic party, her path seems pretty clear.
With her huge staff of over 270 people, the unimaginable amount of money donated to her campaign, the formidable star power in the form of the sitting President Barrack Obama and the First Lady Michelle Obama campaigning with and for her.
Money cannot buy that kind of exposure and support. With CNN’s Donna Brazil sharing the questions with the Clinton campaign ahead of the debate, to be discussed for the 2nd debate between Mr. Trump and Hillary Clinton, certainly gave her an edge to prepare for concise answers to tricky questions ahead of the debate, which ensured her to perform well and look presidential. You might remember the general consensus afterwards was, indeed Hillary Clinton won the debate.
A celebrity strike force fanned out for Hillary Clinton:
- Jennifer Lopez performed a Get Out The Vote performance in Miami in October.
- Katy Perry, Madonna, Miley Cyrus, Lin-Manuel Miranda, star of “Hamilton”all rallying to the cause.
- The cast of “The Avengers,” including Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson, made an anti-Trump ad.
- Broadway threw a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton. Billy Crystal hosted. Hugh Jackman, Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, Emily Blunt, Josh Groban, Bernadette Peters and Neil Patrick Harris performed. Julia Roberts appeared. Barbra Streisand called in from L.A. to jab at Trump.
- More than 100 high-profile stars joined a MoveOn.org campaign called “United Against Hate” in a defeat-Trump effort.
- Other stars stumping for Clinton like Sean Astin, of “The Goonies” and Busy Philipps, of “Freaks and Geeks” were also encouraging people to go to the polls. And many more.
- Lena Dunham and soccer champion Abby Wambach visited multiple venues in New Hampshire to encourage people to turn out to vote.
- Jennifer Garner campaigned for Hillary Clinton with a rally at the University of Nevada
- Women for Hillary at the West Los Angeles College in Culver City in California included celebrities like Debra Messing, Sally Field, Garcelle Beauvais, Sophia Bush, Elizabeth Banks, Jaime King and many more.
- LeBron James and even Adele endorsed Hillary Clinton whilst attending her concert in Miami.
- Rumor has it that JZee are doing a performance with a possibility of Beyonce making a surprise appearance this weekend.
- Bon Jovi will be performing at her last appearance before Big Tuesday.
Mr. Trump is sadly lagging behind in star power endorsements. In fact he is the butt of jokes and ridicule.
Even though the pundits keep on reminding us that it will be a tight race, I wonder how tight can it be with such star power and support behind her?
With all the King’s horses and all the King’s men and ALL the stars aligning themselves in support of Hillary Clinton, the stars seem to point to Madam President!
GO VOTE! MAKE A DIFFERENCE! GO VOTE!
THE MONKEY SELFIE – REALLY???
By now everybody has heard or seen the viral media blitz about the copyrights dispute between the British photographer David Slater and Wikimedia Commons about a photo of a monkey that looks something like this.
Slater requested to have the image removed claiming copyright violation. Wikimedia said blah blah blah.BLAH BLAH BLAH……..the monkey owns it.
Then MSN even had a poll – asking people to weigh in on the issue. And guess what? They did!
I VOTE FOR THE MONKEY! HE NEEDS THE MONEY FOR SOME DENTAL WORK!
Has the world gone mad? Have we become so self centered that we have lost all common sense and reason?
Or are we just stupid? And getting more stupid with each passing day?
Just a quick look at the daily headlines, hopefully would put life in perspective?
- People are stranded atop a mountain in another land in 110 degrees heat with no shelter, dying of thirst and starving to death
- People are being uprooted from their homes, being bombed, killed, beheaded, sliced in half
- Women and girls are being raped, buried alive
- Little girls are being kidnapped and forced to embrace a religion that is not theirs
- People are getting shot by cops, Cops getting killed by people
- Innocent people are being injured or killed by the knock out game
- People are either dying of floods or dying of drought
- Human rights are being violated – Gay people and others are being executed
- Kids are languishing in detention centers in the USA, fleeing their home countries in fear of their lives, creating a “CRISIS” , while elected officials are on a 5 week recess, after agreeing it is a CRISIS
- Planes are being shot down or lost with no explanation or liability
- The NSA is spying on YOU! We the people
- Ebola and other diseases are coming to a neighborhood near YOU
AND WE CONCERN OURSELVES WITH THE RIGHTS OF A PHOTOGRAPH!
ACTUALLY HAVING A DEBATE – HAVING A DEBATE PEOPLE!!!
See here: http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2014/08/11/if-a-monkey-takes-a-photograph-who-has-the-copyright/ (It is actually a good debate, but nevertheless, we should focus on better things.)
THAT A MONKEY IS BEING CONSIDERED TO TRULY / LEGALLY HAVE A RIGHT TO ITS PHOTOGRAPH!
COME ON!!! LET’S GET A GRIP. GET A LIFE!
GO AND VOLUNTEER IN AN AFRICAN VILLAGE!
LET’S GET BEYOND OURSELVES AND FOCUS ON THINGS THAT MATTER.
THINGS OF SUBSTANCE.
LESS SELFIES AND MORE DOING.
SPENDING OUR ENERGY ON WORTHWHILE THINGS.